[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: hidden dependencies
Re: hidden dependencies
Thu, 20 Jan 2011 10:35:22 +0000
Thunderbird 22.214.171.124 (X11/20101213)
Philip Guenther wrote:
I think my previous reasoning was incorrect. Order dependencies will
work in any case
if some target depends on order dependency that dependency will be
rebuild first if outdated it just won't
trigger rebuild of depending targets. So it is perfect fit for generated
resources (i.e. everything in project must order depend on generated
with just this side effect that they will be always regenerated, and it
is "serialization" point in parallel build but that is better then
On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 5:26 AM, Warlich, Christof
I'm very interested in this subject. In my project we have generated
code for rpc interfaces and corba plus there is perl tool that generates
some xml files.
Same with me, lots of generated (include) files, so gcc -MD can't track
the dependencies until the files are generted.
What I did on a previous project that faced this was create an
order-only dependency from each file that 'could' #include a generated
.h file to that generated file. That guarantees the files are created
soon enough without requiring that everything be recompiled if a
generated header file is updated.
Help-make mailing list
So I might to look at this once more. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
The only maintenance issue is keeping up to date list of modules that
My build system includes only necessary makefiles when building project
Parsing each time 500 makefiles is not an option since it takes to long
(on Sun T5440 it takes around 2.5 minute) and if developer is working
on single module edit/recompile cycle would take to long.
NB The problem (or beauty) of build systems is that there is no good
solution that would fit all.
So what is left is summary of good practices and general guidelines. Is
there good book/website
about building build systems with GNU make ?
Re: hidden dependencies, David Boyce, 2011/01/18
- hidden dependencies, Warlich, Christof, 2011/01/18
- Re: hidden dependencies, Krzysztof Cieniuch, 2011/01/18
- RE: hidden dependencies, Warlich, Christof, 2011/01/19
- Re: hidden dependencies, Philip Guenther, 2011/01/19
- Re: hidden dependencies, Krzysztof Cieniuch, 2011/01/19
- Re: hidden dependencies,
Krzysztof Cieniuch <=
- Re: hidden dependencies, Philip Guenther, 2011/01/21
- Re: hidden dependencies, Krzysztof Cieniuch, 2011/01/21
- Re: hidden dependencies, Oleksandr Gavenko, 2011/01/24
- Re: hidden dependencies, Krzysztof Cieniuch, 2011/01/31
- Re: hidden dependencies, Björn Michaelsen, 2011/01/19