Re: About .NOTPARALLEL

From: Peng Yu
Subject: Re: About .NOTPARALLEL
Date: Tue, 10 May 2011 11:50:33 -0500

On Mon, Apr 18, 2011 at 1:54 AM, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2011 19:26:41 -0500
>> From: Peng Yu <address@hidden>
>>
>> The scenario is common in practice. Suppose that the generation of
>> a.txt and b.txt can use all the cores in a machine. Therefore, you
>> don't want them be run in parallel with any other processes. But
>> generation of c.txt and d.txt use just a single core, then you want
>> them to run in parallel.
>
> You could use the --load-average switch (in addition to -j) to cater
> to this scenario, couldn't you?

I think that --load-average will apply to all the targets in a
Makefile. But sometimes a finer control is needed. For example, some
targets are CPU bound and some targets are I/O bound. In a system, the
maximum number of CPU bound processes that can run efficiently may be
different from the maximum number of I/O bound processes that can run
efficiently. If you specify a single --load-average, you have to
choose the minimum number (could be just 1). But it will be a waste
for the type processes that have a greater bound.

--
Regards,
Peng