Delegate Variable to sub-target

From: Anja Schaefer
Subject: Delegate Variable to sub-target
Date: Tue, 24 May 2011 11:39:11 +0200

Hi,

I'm new to gnu make and want to use it to compile my LaTeX file(s). Basically,
I have a complex LaTeX file "book.tex", which includes several chapters. The
chapters in turn include several files as well. My goal is to have a makefile
that lets me either compile the full book or single chapters as separate essays.

The procedure for compiling the LaTeX is always the same, only the files
change. This is a simlified version of my Makefile:

--
.PHONY: full firstchapter secondchapter

fullfilename = book.tex
firstchapter = chap1.tex

full:
  @pdflatex ${fullfilename}
  @bibtex ${fullfilename}.bib
  @pdflatex ${fullfilename}
  @pdflatex ${fullfilename}

firstchapter:
  @pdflatex ${firstchapter}
  @bibtex ${firstchapter}.bib
  @pdflatex ${firstchapter}
  @pdflatex ${firstchapter}

all:

--

I think, the correct make-way would be to call the commands in the "all" target
and just re-assign the variables in the other targets, right?

Could somebody please help me with this?

Best,

Anja