Multiple make dependencies and parallel execution

From: Alexandre BOUIN
Subject: Multiple make dependencies and parallel execution
Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2011 15:43:10 +0200

Hi all,

On a project, I have many folders (including makefiles) to compile in a
parallel, and some have some dependencies on others.
For example :

/Makefile

/toto1/Makefile (has dependency on toto2)

/toto2/Makefile

My root Makefile is this one :

DIRS = toto1 toto2

.PHONY: $(DIRS) all clean

all: $(DIRS)

$(DIRS):

                @echo DIRS = $(DIRS)

                @$(MAKE) -s -C $@

I really need a clean way to explain this root Makefile how dependencies are
made.

I found something that works, but including a rule in toto1/Makefile that
call explicitely toto2/Makefile, but it causes recursive compilation.

So it’s not what I can call a clean way to solve this issue …

Does anyone has some ideas on this subject ?

Regards,

Alexandre.