Re: Need help: How to set .RECIPEPRE variable to white spaces

From: Paul Smith
Subject: Re: Need help: How to set .RECIPEPRE variable to white spaces
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2011 08:13:33 -0400

On Sun, 2011-07-24 at 23:58 -0700, Kumar Mehta wrote:
> How to set .RECIPEPREFIX variable to whitespace(say 4 whitespces) , so that
> make uses this particular set of characters to identify the recipe for a
> particular target.

RECIPEPREFIX must be set to exactly one unique character.  There's no
way to set it to be "four spaces".

Also note that this feature is only available in the latest version of
GNU make and many systems do not include that version yet, so if you use
this feature your makefiles will not be portable to older systems (you
might not care about that).

I'm not a vi/vim user but surely there's a way to set a different
indentation environment for different types of files to avoid this
issue?  You should ask about how to configure vim properly on the
appropriate vim mailing lists.