RE: why does make strip / at the end of a directory prerequisite??

From: Mark Galeck (CW)
Subject: RE: why does make strip / at the end of a directory prerequisite??
Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2011 06:12:12 -0700

I agree:

>On Unix-like systems which use / as the file path separator, the two
items you describe ("dir" and "dir/") are treated as exactly the same
item.

>I may be wrong on this, but I believe that "/" is not allowed as part
of a file name on Linux.

I think you are contradicting what you said before.

And I disagree with this.  Let me prove it, by showing what I just learned from
Philip and Paul:

address@hidden: ls dir/
foobar

My question was not "what to change to make it work".  I know the answer to
that.   My question was "why doesn't this work, is it a bug or am not
understanding something".