Re: make similar to rsync -r -t --del

From: Christof Warlich
Subject: Re: make similar to rsync -r -t --del
Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2012 16:06:00 +0100

Am 05.01.2012 02:08, schrieb Mike Shal:

> You could try tup here (http://gittup.org/tup/)

Wow!

While I found a viable solution for now to solve my initial problem by just combining make and rsync (in short, Make does the updating while "rsync --existing --ignore-existing" deletes any stale files without doing any updates), tup seems to be one of the coolest projects that I saw for quite a while.

Reading the associated documentation was a breeze, excellent! And although it seems to be comprehensive, it is amazingly short. But what really knocked me off is tup's handling of dependencies: In my daydreams I always hoped for a GNU Make 4.0 that has internal support for dependency resolution, e.g. by combining it with the Audited Objects Build Tool (http://audited-objects.sourceforge.net/) from David Boyce. But now, tup seems to make that dream to be reality beyond any expectations!

I certainly will have to work with tup for a while to fully appreciate its concepts (as well as to understand its potential limitations), and though I definitely don't want to port all my good old GNU Make projects to tup, I'm sure I'll try tup for my next projects.

Thanks,

Chris