Re: Weird make error

From: Philip Guenther
Subject: Re: Weird make error
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2012 13:15:01 -0800

On Thu, Feb 9, 2012 at 11:40 AM,  <address@hidden> wrote:
> Under OpenSuSE X86_64, I am trying to cross compile glibc 2.14 with make
> (either 3.81 or 3.81),

Uh, which versions?

> and I am getting a repeatable error on building glibc.

Since this is a problem with the glibc build, have you asked on the
glibc mailing list to see if they have any familiarity with the
problem?

> Note that last line is NOT what is in the Makefile - it is as if something
> is corrupting the make rule at run time.

I suggest you test that by running the rule with make under 'strace'
(or whatever your OS's system call tracing utility is) with whatever
flags are necessary to see the full arguments being passed to the
shell.  I.e., something like
    strace -o tr -f -e trace=process -v make shlib.lds

...but you'll need to verify whether those get you the full argument vector.

> This has been totally repeatable on my machine. Also, I've seen somebody
> else post this sort of output on pastebin, but have seen nothing else
> about it.

How did things work out for that person?

Philip Guenther