Re: Need ways to make Makefiles more foolproof

From: Michael Ludwig
Subject: Re: Need ways to make Makefiles more foolproof
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2012 21:45:47 +0100

Hey Bosse,

Bo Johansson schrieb am 10.03.2012 um 18:55 (+0100):
> I am trying to improve an existing solution, and can not
> fundamentally change it, so your proposals are no options
> for me.

Not answering your question, but these points might help you:

* GNU Make looks for GNUmakefile first, so you could provide
  one specifically for GNU Make.
* You often see build.bat/build.sh/build.pl/Makefile.PL to
  provide portability.

> I am still looking for PORTABLE ways (in a Makefile) to:
>
> 1] Find which make program is used
> 2] Give a warning message
> 3] Give an error message and stop the make program

Maybe people come up with ideas if you provide the concrete
circumstances of the situation. Why would you want to do that
instead of going for one of the established solutions?

In my experience, though, limited as it may be, Make syntaxes
are too incompatible to consider finding a portable subset.

Good luck,

Michael