Re: Need ways to make Makefiles more foolproof

From: Michael Ludwig
Subject: Re: Need ways to make Makefiles more foolproof
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2012 21:49:11 +0100

Bo Johansson schrieb am 20.03.2012 um 11:29 (+0100):

> >ExtUtils::MakeMaker and supported MAKE programs on Windows
> >http://stackoverflow.com/q/9454961/269126

> >>An error message (in the makefile generated by "perl Makefile.PL")
> >>telling me that I was using the wrong make program had saved me some
> >>work.
> >
> >Yes, I agree, that would be a useful addition to EU::MM. Is that what
> >you're working towards?
> >

> Yes, and I am still looking for a good solution.
> My knowledge in the different variant of makefiles and in
> "Makefile.PL / ExtUtils::MakeMaker" is rather limited, so I need
> support.

I think the best place for such an inquiry is the Perl-QA mailing list.

http://lists.perl.org/list/perl-qa.html

One approach might be to have EU::MM generate Makefiles that output the
flavour of the Make program they're supposed to be run with, especially
in the case of errors, possibly == highlighting == this in some ways.
Whatever you want to do in the Makefile, you face the portability
problem, so you had better try to do something dead simple.

Michael