Summer of Code

From: John Gamboa
Subject: Summer of Code
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2012 20:42:52 +0100

Hello...

I'm a Computer Science student and I knew that the Google Summer of Code
2012 will start soon. I read this e-mail list (and the bug-make too) since
the middle of the last year and I really like this project! Although we
frequently receive messages about one bug here or there, I find the project
really (really!) stable. On the other hand, I was kind of expecting to see
some "ideas" in the "ideas page"[1] so I could possibly try to subscribe to
any of them.

I went into the GNU Project Ideas[2] page (where there are ideas for lots
of different projects) and the one that was "nearer" to the GNU Make was
related actually to Autoconf (they want to make Autoconf rely on GNU Make,
instead of aiming "at portability across Make implementations").

So I decided to ask (specially because, in the GNU guidelines for Summer of
Code projects[3], they say that that list of ideas is not the only one):
isn't there anything that you think I could do to improve Make? I never
worked in the GSoC before (though I have some friends who did), and then I
don't have the experience on how I could develop a new proposal.

Thanks in advance...

[1] http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/accepted_orgs/google/gsoc2012
[2] http://www.gnu.org/software/soc-projects/ideas-2012.html
[3] http://www.gnu.org/software/soc-projects/guidelines.html