Re: unexpected behaviour with match anything rule

From: Christof Warlich
Subject: Re: unexpected behaviour with match anything rule
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2012 12:34:38 +0100

Am 15.11.2012 21:08, schrieb Britton Kerin:
Match-everything rules are really prone to problems of this sort.  The -d
flag will give you a big pile of output that will tell you whats going on
if you can stand wading though it.

Really its better to just not use implicit rules.  Compute the set of targets
you want your rules to apply to with $(patsubst %.c,%.o,$(wildcard *.c))
or so and use a static pattern rule.  It makes it easier to get the correct set
of files, and make is more likely to give you a useful error message when
things go wrong.

Britton

Thanks for this advice, I will follow it wherever possible :-).

I nevertheless was hoping for some ideas on how to fix make's behaviour
w.r.t. match anything rules, which seems to me being rather buggy imho :-(.

Cheers,

Chris