Re: implementing emake's #pragma multi in GNU make?

From: Paul Smith
Subject: Re: implementing emake's #pragma multi in GNU make?
Date: Thu, 03 Jan 2013 14:11:57 -0500

On Thu, 2013-01-03 at 05:53 -0800, Jamie Cuesta wrote:
> http://blog.melski.net/2013/01/01/pragma-multi-and-rules-with-multiple-outputs-in-gnu-make/
>  describes a (IMHO very significant, perhaps even "gaping") limitation of GNU
> make (and offers a (IMHO) clean/elegant solution to same).

We had a discussion about this feature a number of years ago.  There was
syntax proposed and discussed and possibly even a patch created although
I'm not sure if it ever got to the level of finished and apply-able (one
thing that I really like to see in any patch for new capabilities is new
regression tests for example).

The thread can be found here:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/make-alpha/2002-12/msg00000.html

There may have been other similar threads since, I can't remember.

I'm not so thrilled about the idea of having a #pragma concept that
changes the way normal rules are interpreted.