Re: What is wrong with this make file?

From: Paul Smith
Subject: Re: What is wrong with this make file?
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2013 15:54:41 -0500

Please keep all discussions on the mailing list, thanks!  There are lots
of very capable people who can answer your questions there: I often run
short of time.

On Tue, 2013-02-05 at 19:53 +0000, Hiebert, Darren (IS) wrote:
> Thank you for bringing this to my attention. However, when
> implementing this suggestion, I now have the problem that the makefile
> below does not properly build "third_party_library" before building
> a.d (which is included into the makefile). Looking at the -dp output
> shows that it considers it, but won't build it. Can you spot what is
> wrong?

I've tried to reproduce your results using the example you gave and it
works fine for me; before it builds a.d it will touch
third_party_library.

Note of course that since third_party_library has no prerequisites, if
it exists then it will never be updated since it can never be out of
date.  Maybe that's your situation?  If you delete third_party_library
then run make, is it rebuilt?

If you still don't see the issue, please post again with (a) the version
of GNU make you're using, (b) the results of "ls -l" in your directory
containing the test makefile, (c) exactly what command you typed, and
(d) the output you received (no need for -d output).