Re: Need help with GNU make: "No rule to make target"

From: Philip Guenther
Subject: Re: Need help with GNU make: "No rule to make target"
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2013 11:18:45 -0700

On Thu, Oct 10, 2013 at 10:44 AM, Jay Lawrence <address@hidden> wrote:
> Two thoughts Jeremy, First you have an extra parenthesis '($(OBJS))', the
> outer parens aren't necessary and I don't know what they will do.

That's the "Archive Members as Targets" syntax.  To quote the info pages:
------
An individual member of an archive file can be used as a target or
prerequisite in `make'.  You specify the member named MEMBER in archive
file ARCHIVE as follows:

     ARCHIVE(MEMBER)
   To specify several members in the same archive, you can write all the
member names together between the parentheses.  For example:

     foolib(hack.o kludge.o)

is equivalent to:

     foolib(hack.o) foolib(kludge.o)
------

The problem is that he's missing an open paren.  He wrote:

    tst_%: tst_%.c $(INCS) $(LIBVUTL)($OBJS)) $(LIBVLIB)

but he needs a parent before the 'O' in OBJS:

    tst_%: tst_%.c $(INCS) $(LIBVUTL)($(OBJS)) $(LIBVLIB)

Philip Guenther