RE: choice of terminology for recursively versus simply expanded variabl

From: Rakesh Sharma
Subject: RE: choice of terminology for recursively versus simply expanded variables?
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2014 10:24:48 -0700

You are correct when you say that even the simply expanded variables are
recursive; butthey are recursive in time, meaning, they won't be impacting the
stack space. While thedeferred variables are recursive in space, as they would
impact the stack space. So I guessthe authors of GNU make chose to call them as
"simply expanded" vs. "deferred evaluated"variables.OTOH, also note that the
recursion of GNU make functions/macros is only possible via the"deferred
evaluation" of variables, due to which the name "recursive" stuck for them.
HTH
-Rakesh