Re: Additional environment information with make 4

From: Paul Smith
Subject: Re: Additional environment information with make 4
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2015 11:03:10 -0500

On Wed, 2015-02-25 at 15:47 +0100, Markus Fischer wrote:
> I have noticed that with make-4.0, as opposed to make-3.82, there is an
> additional entry in the environment of the make process. The entry is
> 'd/<directory>'.

I don't understand what you mean by "an entry in the environment of the
make process".  The environment consists of variable assignments: a
variable and a value.  Is the "entry" above the name of a variable?  Or
the value assigned to some variable?  Or are you saying that it's not a
variable assignment at all but just the string "d/<directory>" with no
"=" sign?

How can you determine what the "environment of the make process" is,
from a makefile?  I know of no way to do that.

Or do you mean that when make invokes a program it places this into the
environment of the program?

You'll have to be much more specific before we can help... as always a
short example makefile, along with command line you invoked, the result
you got (cut/paste) and an explanation of what is wrong with it or what
you expected to get, is best.

In any event, I ran this simple makefile:

   all: ; env | sort

and looked at the output and I didn't see anything in the environment
that shouldn't be there.