Re: how to use a different /bin/sh with GNU Make?

From: Mark Galeck
Subject: Re: how to use a different /bin/sh with GNU Make?
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2015 11:42:48 +0000 (UTC)

I did some more experiments and this is bizarre...
(to remind, I am not changing Make SHELL variable value, I am just manipulating
the contents of /bin/sh hoping to get different behaviour)
calling Make function $(shell) yes that does use the modified shellat the same
time, recipe line invocation does not !
I also thought perhaps, if SHELL is default, then (contrary to manual says) a
new shell instance is not spawned for every line in the recipe, in fact,
perhaps a new shell is not spawned at all, but the current shell is used (like
execve(<recipe line>) )   .  Nope, I checked the current shell is not used - I
ran make under the modified shell, and still, the original shell was still use.
What is worse, even if I move /bin/sh and /bin/bash so they are not even
present as files anymore, still Make uses unmodified shell for recipes (where
from??)