Re: 4.1 recipe for target failed message

From: Paul Smith
Subject: Re: 4.1 recipe for target failed message
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2016 14:15:15 -0400

On Sun, 2014-10-12 at 23:43 +0000, Karl Berry wrote:
> make 4.1 now outputs lines like:
> ./Common.mak:144: recipe for target 'whatever' failed
>
> which is likely to be immediately followed by a line like:
> make: [whatever] Error 1 (ignored)

I thought that being able to jump to the rule in the makefile would be
helpful, but in the end I think it ends up being more annoying
(especially because the pathname is not always right, and so Emacs often
can't find the makefile anyway).

So, I combined these two lines into a single line which won't be
recognized by normal error line parsers (such as Emacs) but can still be
interpreted (hopefully) by users who want to find the rule:

  make: [Makefile:22: target] Error 1

etc.

This will be in the next release.