Re: Quietly and eagerly deleting intermediate files

From: Reinier Post
Subject: Re: Quietly and eagerly deleting intermediate files
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2017 13:47:22 +0100

On Mon Jan  9 15:19:05 2017, address@hidden (Jed Brown) wrote:
> Kristian <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > What is the purpose of these intermediate test executables?
>
> The executables are run as tests.  That is, the package is a library and
> its functionality is tested by a bunch of example programs that link to
> the library and exercise different functionality.  Those example
> programs are sometimes run multiple times with different command line
> options.

My personal policy is to try and create different target names
for different results whenever possible.  When runs differ by
using different argument values or environment variable values,
I incorporate those values into the target names.  It's a hassle
and it isn't pretty, but it means you don't need tricks to override
make's built-in logic on when to remake files.

--
Reinier Post