Re: Make in Windows10

From: Brian Cowan
Subject: Re: Make in Windows10
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2017 10:08:09 -0400

Ramaya,

There really isn't much to go on here. "Enormous" is not a measurable
quantity.

A few questions to define the issue:
How complex are the makefiles? How complex do the dependency graphs get?
Are the makefiles, targets, and dependencies local, or on a network share?
If the latter, what is the server OS? Is it Windows, Linux/Unix using
Samba, a NAS device?
What security tools are installed on the Windows 10 and Windows 7
machines?
Are the windows 10 and windows 7 hosts otherwise identical? (2 VM's on the
same host works very well to eliminate hardware/driver differences as much
as possible.)
Are you using a version of GNU make that requires Cygwin, or is this a
standalone build?
If a version that uses Cygwin, what Cygwin version, and are they identical
on both systems?
Is the problem most visible in specific target builds?
What is the exact time delta? Is it 2x slower on Windows 10? 10x?
Can the delta be seen in a smaller sample build?

Windows 10 has some "quirks" talking to pre-Windows 2012 server versions,
that we can expect will not be addressed as Windows server 2008 and before
are officially out of mainstream support.
Brian Cowan
ClearCase/Licensing Software Advisory Team (SWAT)
HCL Technologies at IBM
IBM Cloud Support
550 King St
Littleton MA 01460