Re: How to debug my Makefile

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: How to debug my Makefile
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2018 13:27:46 -0400

>  > Looking at the make file I see one $(shell ..) invocation which is the
>  > most likely culprit:
>  >
>  >     define SET-diff
>  >     $(shell echo "$(1)" "$(2)" "$(2)" | tr ' ' '\n' | sort | uniq -u)
>  >     endef
>
>  Could you use a standard Make rule to generate an output file,

How could I generate an output file via a Make rule when the desired
content of the file is in a Make variable that's too big for the
command line?

>  and then use redirection to provide the output file to any programs.

SET-diff is used to build Make variables which are then used as "lists
of targets", so I'd have to use a nested Make invocation :-(

>  Within Gnu Make, it's pretty easy to $(sort) sort a list, but
>  de-duplicating it is a bit tougher.

I need a set-difference, not a deduplication.

>  It could be done fairly easily
>  with the associative arrays or sets in the Gnu Make Standard Library:
>    https://gmsl.sourceforge.io/

Wow, heroic!
I'll see how/if I can make use of it, thanks,

        Stefan