[Help-nano] Suppressing the trailing newline / linefeed

From: re2823
Subject: [Help-nano] Suppressing the trailing newline / linefeed
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 02:01:11 +0100

Hi all.

Could anyone please tell me whether there is anyway to suppress the
newline/linefeed which is normally added to the end of a saved text file. In
more detail, when I use nano (version 1.3.8, on Ubuntu 5.10), I enter the text
"123" and then use ctrl-O to save the file. If I then exit from nano and view
the file using "od -tx1", the result is:

address@hidden:~$ od -tx1 myFile
0000000 31 32 33 0a
0000004
address@hidden:~$

I would like to know whether there is any way to stop the addition of the
linefeed character to the end of the file (such as a compile-time option, an
invocation option, or some other command).

Thank you,

Jaime