sum(null matrix) becomes null matrix not zero

From: che6yoh
Subject: sum(null matrix) becomes null matrix not zero
Date: Thu, 27 May 93 19:50:00 BST

Hello.
Thank you very much.
  >Date: Thu, 27 May 1993 13:37:49 -0500
  >From: Tianlin Wang <address@hidden>
  >
  >       If I execute
  >       >>a=[]
  >       >>b=sum(a)
  >       The result becomes b=[].
  >       Is this specification of octave?
  >       I expected b became zero like MATLAB.
  >
  >I like b=[], because b=0 can fool people
  >
  >       1. The results of expm are strange.
  >                 Does the problem occure only on my system?
  >I think, octave uses eigenvectors to calculate expm, it could fail for
  >some ill matrice. However, MATLAB built-in expm function uses more general
  >and reliable algorithm.
  >
  >An octive user, University of Illinois

I am very glad to know that the cause of the problems was not
my installation.

I hope many users improve octave, though I can't check the
source codes.
It is a merit of freeware softwares, I think.

Yoshihiro Hashimoto
Dept. of Systems Eng., Nagoya Inst. of Tech.
address@hidden
[Now]Dept. of Chem. Eng., The Univ. of Leeds
address@hidden
The mail to address@hidden will be sent to
address@hidden automatically.