Octave version 0.76 released

From: John Eaton
Subject: Octave version 0.76 released
Date: Tue, 05 Oct 93 18:12:40 EDT

Octave version 0.76 is now available for ftp from ftp.che.utexas.edu
in the directory /pub/octave.  Compressed and gzipped tar files are
available, as are diffs relative to version 0.75.1.

PLEASE NOTE:  We are only distributing gzipped files because we no
longer have room to distribute both compressed and gzipped files.

Binaries for DECstation, SPARCstation, and i486/Linux systems are
available.

Binaries for other systems will be made available as time permits, or
as others make them available to us.  If you would like help out by
making binaries available for other systems, please contact
address@hidden

Here's a summary of changes for version 0.76:

  * Better run-time error messages.  Many now include line and column
    information indicating where the error occurred.  Octave will also
    print a traceback for errors occurring inside functions. If you
    find error messages that could use improvement, or errors that
    Octave fails to catch, please send a bug report to
    address@hidden

  * If gplot (or gsplot) is given a string to plot, and the string
    does not name a file, Octave will pass the string along to gnuplot
    directly.  This allows commands like

      gplot "sin (x)" w l, data w p

    to work (assuming that data is a variable containing a matrix of
    values).

  * Long options (--help, --version, etc.) are supported.

--
Virtually all of the programs obtained by our sampling | John W. Eaton
procedure were written in FORTRAN.  -- Donald E. Knuth | address@hidden