Re: multiplot gnu under octave?

From: John Utz
Subject: Re: multiplot gnu under octave?
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 1995 11:59:51 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Vinayak;

On Tue, 4 Apr 1995, Vinayak Dutt wrote:

> #Hi;
> #
> #     thanks again for the subplot command. I seem to be having two
> #difficulties. The most important one is that i cant seem to use it to get
> #two plots on one gnuplot_x11 screen. i can get one half size plot in the
> #desired position, or i can get the other half size plot in the desired
> #position, but not both half size plots at the same time. Can you tell me
> #explicitly what commands i should type to achive this desired goal?
>
> there is one problem with multiplot mode when displaying multiple plots. the
> plots are not displayed till you switch back to single plot mode. so once you
> have drawn all the subplots, switch back to single plot with "set
> nomulitplot"
> and you will see all the subplots on X11 display. of course, you will have to
> go
> back to multiplot mode to display more multiple plots.
>
> i also notice that Niles subplot() function does not set
> gnuplot in multiplot mode. so you will have to do that
> before using subplot(): "set multiplot".
>
> by the way, i have written a bunch of routines also for multiplot
> mode. if other users want them, then i can post those routines to this
> mailing list.

        I think it is safe to say that others will be interested. I know
i would like to have them. It would be a much better place to start
beating on this from :-).

        BTW, i do not think that we will see multiplot as a supported
function in gnuplot release for a long time. The multiplt+.diff file
shows the author's directory context. He has his multiplot gode in a
directory called gplot 3.8! We are currently using 3.5, and 3.6 is
supposedly in beta ( per niles ). I think those of us who need it badly
enough *now* are just going to have to get use to operating in a really
contrived manner for the forseeable future. I can defintely understand
why jwe would be reluctant to touch it wrt octave at this time. I suspect
that the final configuration will be lightyears away from what it looks
like now. Tho, i must say, for what the multiplot patch does right now,
it does pretty well, IMHO.

> --vinayak-
> /*
>  * vinayak dutt
>  * graduate student, ultrasound research
>  * mayo graduate school, rochester mn
>  *
>  * e-mail: address@hidden
>  *         address@hidden
>  *
>  */
> #include "disclaimer.h"

 John Utz       address@hidden
        idiocy is the impulse function in the convolution of life