Octave on NeXT

From: Todd Pitts
Subject: Octave on NeXT
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 95 09:31:53 CDT

Thanks in advance for any assistance ...

I just obtained a binary distribution for NeXT (motorola).
The Octave version is 1.1.1 and I am running release 3.2
of the NeXTStep operating system.  I have followed the
installation instructions three times and Octave appears
to install correctly each time.  However, whenever I do
ls or dir from the Octave command line I get correct
behavior once, then subsequent ls's or dir's generate
bus errors...

error:Bus error --- Stopping myself
error:stdin is not a tty

Can anyone shed some light on this problem?  Are there environment
variables that I need to set?  Should I modify the installation
script?

A second question is: Is there a way that I can use Mathematica or
another program to plot instead of Gnuplot?  If I can just get the
arrays and matrices out of octave quickly and gracefully I can do the
rest.

Thanks again,

Todd Pitts