Re: Where is NaN?

From: Ted Harding
Subject: Re: Where is NaN?
Date: Mon, 29 May 1995 10:08:23 +0200 (BST)

( Re Message From: Eyal Doron )

> > > octave:75> nan
> > > error: `nan' undefined near line 75 column 1
> > > error: evaluating expression near line 75, column 1
> > >
> > > Is there a solution? My routine uses NaN values.
> >
> > octave-1.1.1 accepts this: x = nan (or NaN) works as expected.
> >
> > Ted.                                    (address@hidden)
> >

> mickey:doron> octave
> Octave, version 1.1.1.
> Copyright (C) 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995 John W. Eaton.
> This is free software with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
> For details, type `warranty'.
>
> octave:1> x=nan
> error: `nan' undefined near line 1 column 3
> error: evaluating expression near line 1, column 3
> error: evaluating assignment expression near line 1, column 2
> octave:2>
>

> Need I say more :(
>
> P.S. This is running on a DEC Alpha under OSF/1 3.0 .
>
> Eyal

My turn to move:

   address@hidden:~$ octave
   Octave, version 1.1.1.
   Copyright (C) 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995 John W. Eaton.
   This is free software with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
   For details, type `warranty'.

   octave:1> x = nan
   x = NaN
   octave:2>

This is the Linux pre-compiled binary from ftp.che.utexas.edu, directory
pub/octave/BINARIES. Clearly there is a problem with the above version
on the DEC. As you can see, it can work, so in principle it should work.

Time for others to join in, I think.

Ted.                                    (address@hidden)