strings

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: strings
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 1996 23:31:32 -0600

Allan Corbeil <address@hidden> wrote:

: In octave, I can't seem to define 2-D string arrays.
: I also cannot do simple subscripting. For example:
: str=["abc";"def"]
: s1=str(1:2)

This will be possible in the next release, which will allow arrays of
strings, and indexing should work the same for strings as it does not
for numeric matrices.

: Also do the equivalent of MEX files exist for octave?

In 1.1.1, you can do dynamic linking of externally compiled functions
if you are using a system that has a working version of GNU dld.  In
the next release, support for dld has been dropped in favor of using
OS-specific facilities.  So far, this works on systems that have
dlopen/dlsym functions (SunOS, Linux/ELF, Irix, and probably other
SysV systems) and on HP/UX systems using shl_* functions.

Sorry, I don't know when the next release will be ready.

Thanks,

jwe