indexing in octave ?

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: indexing in octave ?
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 1996 01:20:06 -0500

On  8-Jun-1996, Kay Hamacher <address@hidden> wrote:

: Perhaps I have simply not seen the answer in the documentation, but
: I think it isn't in it :
:
: Is there a way to start indexing of an vector at 0 and not at 1
: (or even at a negativ index-number) ?

It's not possible to do this with Octave.  I also don't have any plans
to add this sort of feature myself (at least not anytime soon) but
I've added the following to the PROJECTS file:

  * Allow arbitrary lower bounds for array indexing.

One problem that makes this somewhat harder to implement (and use) is
that it would add an additional conflict with Matlab's zero-one style
indexing...

jwe