Re: [Q] Anyone working on port to WIN95/NT ?

From: John L Daschbach
Subject: Re: [Q] Anyone working on port to WIN95/NT ?
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 1996 14:09:33 -0700

   : Is anybody working on porting OCTAVE to WIN95/WINNT ?

        One place to start might be with the OS/2 version.  This uses
the EMX port of GCC, and includes a nearly complete unix library so
lots of Unix code can be compiled straight away on OS/2 and the
library handles the differences with path specifiers etc.  I have not
looked, but I would think very little was needed to change octave so
it would compile on OS/2.  I have compiled many other Unix programs
with no changes.
        You can run bound emx programs as 32bit programs on DOS, but
it uses the non-M$ way of handling this and so they don't run under
Win* without changing the extender (which can be done I have heard).
You might be able to find out about this and run the OS/2 compiled
version under W95.  Don't know about NT.
        Of course, you could just run OS/2, which is a great desktop
OS.  Now with Xfree ported to OS/2 it makes it even better.

-John