Re: Plot Problem Again

From: John Utz
Subject: Re: Plot Problem Again
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 1996 10:39:08 -0700 (PDT)

Ok, now i am confused.

On Tue, 25 Jun 1996, Michael Riedl wrote:

> Hi there!
>
> Thanks for your hints! But I didn't manage to get it working.
> Gnuplot works standalone in an xterm:

ok, here is where i am still comfortable. freebsd doesnt have svgalib, so
i use octave in XFree86

> address@hidden:~> gnuplot
> svgalib: Configuration file /usr/local/lib/libvga.config not found.
> svgalib: Assuming Microsoft mouse.
> svgalib: Assuming low end SVGA/8514 monitor (35.5 KHz).
> Using VGA driver.

now, what the heck is happening here? u are demonstarting that gnuplot is
functioning in svga mode, yes?

>         G N U P L O T
>         Linux version 3.5
>         patchlevel 3.50.1.17, 27 Aug 93
>         last modified Fri Aug 27 05:21:33 GMT 1993
>
>         Copyright(C) 1986 - 1993   Thomas Williams, Colin Kelley
>
>         Send comments and requests for help to address@hidden
>         Send bugs, suggestions and mods to address@hidden
>
> Terminal type set to 'x11'
> gnuplot> plot exp(x)

arghh! now wait a minute, svga or X11? this looks like things are getting
off on a confused foot.

> brings up the window with the graph.
>
> But
>
> address@hidden:~> octave
> Octave, version 1.1.1.
> Copyright (C) 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995 John W. Eaton.
> This is free software with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
> For details, type `warranty'.
>
> octave:1> x=[-10:1:10]'; y=sin(x);
> octave:2> plot(x,y);
> svgalib: Configuration file /usr/local/lib/libvga.config not found.
> svgalib: Assuming Microsoft mouse.
> svgalib: Assuming low end SVGA/8514 monitor (35.5 KHz).
> Using VGA driver.
> octave:3>

this is the problem

> And nothing else happens, no window opens.

because the plot is appearing on some imaginary svga console inside your
machine's mind!

> I don't need this svga stuff as I always run the X Window System.
>
> Should I compile gnuplot myself (where is the source)?

i would! jut use archie to find it, or try prep.ai.mit.edu in pub/gnu

> Please help! Thanks in advance!

hope it helps!

> Michael

 John Utz       address@hidden
        idiocy is the impulse function in the convolution of life