Dynamic Linking on Linux?

From: john
Subject: Dynamic Linking on Linux?
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 1997 08:47:24 +0000 (GMT)

Observing:
        JWE develops Octave on Linux
        The Octave texi stuff includes some discussion of dynamic linking
        My Linux machine has a man page on 'dlopen'

I tried to compile octave with dynamic linking. (./configure
--enable-dl) (I am using a rather inefficient Spherical Bessel Function
routine, that would be usefully faster if compiled). But I failed.

The dlopen man page includes an example: but I don't have the file
<dlfcn.h> to include, so I fail on that.

Is dynamic linking possible in Linux - easilly? Techniques involving
installing the new gnu libc would count has hard. Has anyone done it?

        John
address@hidden

Please forgive me if this question is covered by a paragraph in the
documentation; I did look for it.