linking with ieee library

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: linking with ieee library
Date: Mon, 12 May 1997 10:13:43 -0500

On 12-May-1997, James Ryan <address@hidden> wrote:

|       I was trying to compile octave 2.0.5 and I came across a library
|       that I didn't have libieee.?  Does anyone know where I could
|       pick this library up.

The README.Linux file distributed with Octave includes the following
information:

  The linker can't find -lieee
  ----------------------------

  This can happen because your libraries don't match your version of
  gcc.  Some recent Linux distributions don't include a libieee.a file
  because IEEE support is now the default and the library is no longer
  needed, but the gcc specs file still adds -lieee to the linker command
  if gcc is invoked with the -mieeefp flag.  I believe that you should
  be able to fix this by editing the gcc specs file.  In it, you should
  find something like this:

    %{!shared: %{mieee-fp:-lieee} %{p:-lgmon} %{pg:-lgmon} \
    %{!ggdb:-lc} %{ggdb:-lg}}

  changing it to

    %{!shared: %{p:-lgmon} %{pg:-lgmon} %{!ggdb:-lc} %{ggdb:-lg}}

  should keep gcc from adding -lieee to the link command.  You can find
  the location of the specs file by running the command gcc -v.

  If you can't edit the gcc specs file for some reason, another solution
  that should work is to create an empty libieee.a file in the Octave
  src directory using the command:

    ar cq libieee.a

  NOTE: you should fix this problem (either by editing the specs file or
  by creating the library) *before* running configure and compiling
  Octave.  Otherwise, configure may incorrectly determine that your
  system doesn't have support for some IEEE math functions.

|       Also, there is a nice fix for fsolve on the mailing list.  It
|       allows constants to be sent to the function.  Is there a site
|       that I can download this from and and not in a text
|       message?

There is a link to the mailing lists archives on the Octave web page
at http://www.che.wisc.edu/octave.  The messages are also available at
ftp://ftp.che.wisc.edu/pub/octave/MAILING-LISTS.

jwe