Re: Sparse matrices?

From: Ian Searle
Subject: Re: Sparse matrices?
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 1997 07:43:11 -0700

U-E59264-Osman Buyukisik wrote:

> Well, I was wrong. Algae does NOT have an independent sparse solver!
> How about SparseLib++, TNT and IML++ (interative solvers) from NIST? These
> are freely available, and are in c++ :-)
> One of the authors : Roldan Pozo has a web page :
> http://math.nist.gov/pozo/
>
> Now the latest TNT version (0.8)seems to have the solvers! I had 0.7
> and that version did not have the solvers. I don't know about
> efficiency, as these are c++ template based.
>
> Osman

Don't forget the banded solvers that are already in LAPACK.  I spoke
with Scott yesterday, and Algae uses the LAPACK banded solvers if
BCSLIB-sparse is not available. You might not get quite the storage
reduction as you would with a completely compressed sparse storage
scheme, but its still a lot better than dense.

--
Ian Searle
address@hidden