plot colors

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: plot colors
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 1997 13:11:39 -0500

On 13-Aug-1997, Heber Farnsworth <address@hidden> wrote:

| This may be a simple question but I can't seem to find the answer in
| the info pages.  When plotting it is sometimes desirable to have a
| different color background for the Gnuplot window than I use for my
| xterm windows.  However this is not something that can be set with a
| gset sort of command.  Instead you must invoke Gnuplot in a
| different way, using the appropriate x11 option.  I.e. when invoking
| Gnuplot from the shell you would type
|
|       gnuplot -bg white
|
| or whatever color you wanted the background to be.  How do you do a similar
| thing from within octave?

You can use

  gnuplot_binary = "gnuplot -bg white";

at the octave prompt, or in your ~/.octaverc file (yes, the variable
name is a bit misleading -- it is currently a shell command to run,
not just the name of the binary).  If you want to change the
background, you have to restart the plot process -- use closeplot and
then issue another plotting command.

You can also set the X11 resources for gnuplot in your .Xdefaults file.n

  gnuplot*background:   white

jwe