Re: Reading ASCII data files into octave

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Reading ASCII data files into octave
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 1997 19:05:44 -0500

On 16-Oct-1997, Dirk Eddelbuettel <address@hidden> wrote:

|   Marco>  Dear Octave users, I am a frequent matlab user, who is accustomed
|   Marco> to being able to read ASCII data files simply containing one matrix
|   Marco> of data, without having to first specify in the file itself the size
|   Marco> of the data about to read.
|   Marco>
|   Marco> Is there any way to have Octave do the same, without first adding
|   Marco> those four lines before each matrix contained in the file???
|
| You want to use the aload.m and asave.m functions.

I don't think you really need those now:

  $ cat foo.dat
  1 2.3 4.5
  6 7.8 9.0
  $ octave
  Octave, version 2.0.9 (i686-pc-linux-gnu).
  Copyright (C) 1996, 1997 John W. Eaton.
  This is free software with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
  For details, type `warranty'.

  octave:1> load foo.dat
  octave:2> foo
  foo =

    1.0000  2.3000  4.5000
    6.0000  7.8000  9.0000

This feature was added sometime before 2.0 was released.

jwe