From: Jonas Bofjall
Subject: Loading functions
Date: Sun, 10 May 1998 17:32:37 +0200 (MET DST)

On Fri, 8 May 1998, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:

> Well, which version of Octave are you using ?

I am currently using 2.0.11.

> started Octave, executed foo, changed the text in foo.m to show "Bar"
> and hit '<cursor-up> <return>'. As you see, command 2 still showed

I feel a bit stupid here. Can you further explain this behaviour? Why
doesn't Octave notice that the file has changed until the next usage?

I reread the info pages since I got several hints to do so. Why does
Octave separate `script' m-files and `function' m-files? Is this only
to decide whether or not to execute the file as well?

The info pages state that Octave decides if a file is to be reread
by checking its creation date. Now please don't flame me for not
seeking my answer in the source, but does it check if the file date
has *changed* or if its *newer*? (There's a difference when working
on several machines with unsynchronized clocks, which could explain
its behaviour completely.)

  // Jonas <address@hidden> [2:201/262.37]