Re: Octave-2.0.12:mips-sgi-irix6.2:Long wait on first use of function fi

From: Jim Van Zandt
Subject: Re: Octave-2.0.12:mips-sgi-irix6.2:Long wait on first use of function file
Date: Thu, 14 May 1998 13:23:37 -0400

> | On the first call of a function in a function file, there is a 40s wait
> | with one CPU (of 4) running at 99% utilisation.
> | Is this normal?
> I can't reproduce this problem on any of the systems I use.  Is there
> some way on IRIX systems to trace system call activity, so we might be
> able to find out where it is spending most of the time?

I suggest something like

    strace -o log -ff octave

I have a system with IRIX 6.2 here, with strace 3.1 installed, but not
octave.  (gcc won't compile C++, and I have not gotten egcs installed
yet).  I am looking forward to seeing octave binaries uploaded for
architectures other than i386.

                                   - Jim Van Zandt