Problems installing under Windows 95

From: Dave Borger
Subject: Problems installing under Windows 95
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 13:54:22 -0800

I have been having some problems installing the Octave binaries to the
D: drive on my Windows 95 system.  I have installed the Cygnus usertools
on the D: drive and have their location verifiably on my path.

When I execute

        sh ./install-octave d:/octave

After listing the directories the installer plans to use (and answering
'y' to the prompt), I get the message

        ./mkinstalldirs: cannot open file "./mkinstalldirs"

Of course since the proper directory structure is not created the rest
of the installation fails miserably.  After fooling around trying a
bunch of other things I decided to create the directories myself.  I
believe I have done this correctly, but perhaps you can tell otherwise
from the error messages I still get.  The previous message about
mkinstalldirs is still there followed by

installing octave-sh as d:/octave/bin/octave
installing src/octave as d:/octave/bin/octave.bin
installing octave-bug as d:/octave/bin/octave-bug
FIND: Parameter format not correct
installing .m files in d:/octave/share/octave/2.0.13/m-
FIND: Invalid switch
chmod: too few arguments
Try 'chmod --help' for more information
FIND: Invalid switch
cd: can't cd to //D:/tmp/misc
installing image files in d:/octave/share/octave/2.0.13/imagelig
cd: can't cd to scripts/image
cp: *.img: No such file or directory
chmod: d:/octave/share/octave/2.0.13/image.ib/*.img: No such file or
directory
cd: can't cd to //D/tmp/misc
creating ls-R file in d:/octave/share/octave
creating ls-R file in d:/octave/ibexec/octave
cp: doc/interpreter/octave.info*: No such file or directory
chmod: d:/octave/info/octave.info*: No such file or directory
installing man page n d:/octave/man/man1
cp: doc/interpreter/octave.1: No such file or directory
chmod: d:/octave/man/man1/octave.1: No such file or directory
*** You have specified an installation directory different
*** from the default.  For Octave to run properly, you must
*** set the environment variable OCTAVE_HOME to
***
***    d:/octave
***
*** before starting windows.

I have also managed to print the PDF file containing the Octave
documentation and it looks to be exactly what I need so I am anxious to
get started.  Can you help

Dave