Re: toascii/abs

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: toascii/abs
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 1999 00:29:23 -0600 (CST)

On 24-Mar-1999, Daniel Heiserer <address@hidden> wrote:

| Anyway it's really good that octave provides lot of this 'mathematically
| questionable, but
| pragmatic and easy going' features of matlab.

Hmm.  I'm even less sure about this now than I used to be.

| The thing is that I and
| maybe some others
| don't know all of these details and that takes time to learn and wastes
| capacity
| on both sides of the 'help-list' which
| could be better used to add new stuff.

I think a lot of this stuff is actually documented in the manual.

| I know that there is ONE variable
| which has to
| be set to set ALL matlab-compatible features (is that right?).
| Unfortunately I didn't
| find it in the documentation.

No, but you can start Octave with --traditional (or, if you prefer,
--braindead) and that will set all the variables so that you will get
the most Matlab-like behavior by default.

I think there is a list of these in the manual.  Try

  octave> help -i braindead

Searching the manual for `compatibility' might also work.

jwe