Re: implicit_str_to_num_ok=1

From: David Doolin
Subject: Re: implicit_str_to_num_ok=1
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 1999 10:39:31 -0400

In message <address@hidden>, Daniel Heiserer writes:
>Hi,
>
>I try to write my code non-braindead compatible
>IN ORDER TO POSTE IT TO THE SOURCE LIST, not for my own!
>There are some non-braindead features which make me
>really sick.

Easy there killer.

Assumptions underlying design decisions may seem reasonable
at the time, only to prove not-so-convenient later.  Predicting
the future is easy.  Predicting it correctly is the trick.

Here is a suggestion:  dl a fresh copy of 2.1.14 (or whatever
is latest), change the defaults to what you prefer, then
run *all* of your scripts through it and see how much breaks.
If you see a clear benefit, you then have a sales/marketing
issue: how to get jwe to incorporate your patch!  Given his
general crankiness lately, this will be the far harder task!

I don't care either way, as long as the documentation is correct,
and someone notes it in the changelog.

Hope your day improves.  It's beautiful here in Berkeley
right now...  ;)

Dave Doolin

ps: honey catches more flies than vinegar.