Re: come with gnuplot

From: Daniel Heiserer
Subject: Re: come with gnuplot
Date: Tue, 06 Jul 1999 17:48:52 +0200

> > I think that there is nearly NO ARGUMENT AGAINST gnuplot
> > coming with octave.
> > If you don't like it you can delete the octave-gnuplot stuff
> > and put your gnuplot path in.
> >
> > I already mentioned the advantages if gnuplot comes with octave like
> > +       no cases of which gnuplot version is installed for coders
> > +       always an octave/gnuplot combination which takes most of the
> >         advantages of gnuplot.
> > +       saving time on octave's gnuplot interface ==> spending time
> >         in adding new plotting features to gnuplot ==> better plotting for
> > octave
> > +       better communcation between octave and gnuplot.
> >         I try to implement something bidrectional, so octave *get's*
> > gnuplot's
> >         answers. This is horrible for different gnuplot version's.
>
> The same is true for Octave maintainers :-)
>
> >         If this would be there, there would be lot's of advantages.
> > +       and so on
> >
> > Now some minuses please:
>
> gnuplot stable releases are very infrequent. Most people use beta
> releases, with sometime very powerful add-ons or bugs corrected.

But exactly that is the best argument to ship gnuplot WITH octave.
So you have bug-fixes AND improvements once you get octave.
You needn't worry about getting the latest gnuplot too.
Getting worried about installing gnuplot parallel to
your current gnuplot, because there might be other tools
that conflict with the latest gnuplot.

> There would be no point in providing the sources of a stable but
> obsolete release. When Octave-2.0.14 was released, the *official*
> gnuplot was 3.5; do you believe that anybody was using it?

YES absolutely. I DID. :-((((

> At most, it should be said what gnuplot release Octave currently support
> and where the sources can be found. Perhaps in the README?
>
> NEWS.1 says(Octave 0.71!):
>
>   * Much improved plotting facility.  With this release, Octave does
>     not require a specially modified version of gnuplot, so gnuplot
>     sources are no longer distributed with Octave.  For a more
>
> NEWS says(Octave 2.0.12)
>
>   * gplot now supports the `axes' qualifier that is new with gnuplot
>     3.6beta.

daniel

--
Mit freundlichen Gruessen