Re: gnuplot, ignore if tired of thread

From: Thomas Walter
Subject: Re: gnuplot, ignore if tired of thread
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 1999 12:16:08 +0200

    >> Hello,
    >> what version do you use?  libreadline and libhistory are both used at
    >> least with UN*X and L*NUX.
    >> But you have to write the '~/.inputrc' yourself if you use L*NUX from
    >> RedHat or SuSe.  Other systems I donn't know.

    David> This is only partly correct.  From gnuplot-3.7/readline.c:

    David> /* a small portable version of GNU's readline
    David>  * this is not the BASH or GNU EMACS version of READLINE due to
Copyleft
    David>  * restrictions
    David>  * do not need any terminal capabilities except backspace,
    David>  * and space overwrites a character
    David>  */

This is valid only for the stripped down buildin readline of gnuplot.
'readline.c' compiles to nothing if you request for GNU readline.  See
below.

    David> However, acconfig.h and several other files indicate that several
    David> GPL tools such as readline and plotutils can be linked during the
build.

Have you ever done 'configure --help' ?
Then you see (only relevant parts)

--enable and --with options recognized:
  --with-readline         use the included minimal readline function (default)
  --without-readline      do not use the included readline function
  --with-gnu-readline     use the GNU readline library
  --with-gnu-readline=PATH        Specify the location of GNU readline
  --with-plot             use the Unix plot library
  --with-plot=PATH                Specify the location of GNU libplot

And this qay you can switch on the use of libreadline and libhistory
from for example GNU readline-4.0.

    David> I have to admit, this is the first time I have ever seen GPL code
used
    David> this way.

And this is the common way to define additional libraries.

Bye
Thomas

--
Platzangst:
Der dauerhafte Zustand eines Luftballons.

Dipl. Phys. Thomas Walter
Inst. f. Physiklische Chemie II
Egerlandstr. 3                          Tel.: ++9131-85 27326 / 27330
91058 Erlangen, Germany                 email: address@hidden