How have DEL send C-d?

From: niles
Subject: How have DEL send C-d?
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 1999 17:40:09 -0400

I know this isn't an Octave question, but I thought people here would
know the answer.  I have a user that believes that the Delete key
should execute delete-forward-character (C-d) and Backspace should
delete-previous-character.  Two questions:

(1) How can I make most of the programs in X (including Octave in a
    xterm) behave this way?  That is, have the Delete key behave like
    Control-D does in Emacs.  I've tried xmodmap, but it won't work
    since "Control-D" is two key presses.  I've considered readline
    macros, but that's complicated (I couldn't figure it out).

(2) Prove him wrong. :) This there anything anywhere that established
    historically what the Delete key SHOULD do?

BTW, this person also believes that HOME and END should be
beginning-of-line and end-of-line, repectively.

                  Thanks for any help,
                  Rick Niles.