Re: compile on Cray/ nonGNUcompiler

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: compile on Cray/ nonGNUcompiler
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2000 04:39:07 -0600 (CST)

On 31-Jan-2000, Mumit Khan <address@hidden> wrote:

[Quite a few things that might need to be fixed before Octave could be
compiled with something other than the GNU C++ compiler.]

In the last few days, I've spent a lot of time compiling the
bleeding-edge version of Octave with the Sun C++ compiler that I have
access to.  With the following exceptions, I'm able to compile all of
it.

  1. There are still some dependencies on the scan, vscan, and form
     methods from the GNU iostream library.  It should not be too hard
     to convert the code to use io manipulators instead of C-style
     format strings.

  2. The oct-procbuf class probably needs to be rewritten.  It is
     currently derived from filebuf and assumes that you can attach an
     open Unix file descriptor to an existing filebuf.  Unless I'm
     missing something, there is no way to do that in the standard C++
     iostream library, so this probably needs to be rewritten.
     Probably it could be derived directly from streambuf.

  3. I need a replacement for stdiostreams.

  4. To make dynamic linking work, it may be necessary to change the
     code in dynamic-ld.cc that looks for symbol names since it
     assumes g++-syle name mangling, which is likely different for
     other compilers.  A configure check would be nice.

I'd certainly appreciate it if anyone can offer solutions for the
above problems.

I thought I would post here since people on the list might be
interested in the progress, but I'd like to move future discussions
about this to the octave-maintainers list.

Thanks,

jwe