Re: compile on Cray/ nonGNUcompiler

From: Mumit Khan
Subject: Re: compile on Cray/ nonGNUcompiler
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2000 10:09:18 -0600 (CST)

On Fri, 4 Feb 2000, John W. Eaton wrote:

> In the last few days, I've spent a lot of time compiling the
> bleeding-edge version of Octave with the Sun C++ compiler that I have
> access to.  With the following exceptions, I'm able to compile all of
> it.

Wow! This is terrific.

>   1. There are still some dependencies on the scan, vscan, and form
>      methods from the GNU iostream library.  It should not be too hard
>      to convert the code to use io manipulators instead of C-style
>      format strings.

These are easy, just a matter of finding these.

>   2. The oct-procbuf class probably needs to be rewritten.  It is
>      currently derived from filebuf and assumes that you can attach an
>      open Unix file descriptor to an existing filebuf.  Unless I'm
>      missing something, there is no way to do that in the standard C++
>      iostream library, so this probably needs to be rewritten.
>      Probably it could be derived directly from streambuf.

Yes. I can probably help with this.

>   3. I need a replacement for stdiostreams.

Likewise.

>   4. To make dynamic linking work, it may be necessary to change the
>      code in dynamic-ld.cc that looks for symbol names since it
>      assumes g++-syle name mangling, which is likely different for
>      other compilers.  A configure check would be nice.

This is tricky. I have an object factory that needs to do this as well
and I have compiler-specific mangle/demangle code that deals with this.
Obviously, it only works with the compilers I have mangling specs for.

Once you have the new tar file, please drop me a line (I'm not on the
maintainers list), and I'll see how I can help.

Regards,
Mumit