Re: ATLAS and octave

From: Steven G. Johnson
Subject: Re: ATLAS and octave
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2000 17:48:26 -0500

JWE wrote:
> Would it be possible to modify the ATLAS makefiles to just build a
> libatlas.a?  Then Octave could simply have
>
>  AC_CHECK_LIB(atlas, ATL_xerbla)

Although I'm certain the ATLAS folks could do this, I don't quite see why
you care.  It only takes a couple of more lines in configure.in to check
for multiple ATLAS libraries as to check for one.  The patch I posted does
this.

> make SPECIAL_MATH_LIB=/some/dir/libatlas.a

How do you know what /some/dir is?  AC_CHECK_LIB doesn't give it to you.
Do you require the user to specify the directory to configure...possibly in
addition to a -L flag in LDFLAGS so that AC_CHECK_LIB works?  It seems much
easier just to link to -latlas.

Do you have some particular objection to the scheme I used in the patch I
posted?

Steven