Re: --enable-shared --enable-dl on cygwin?

From: Mumit Khan
Subject: Re: --enable-shared --enable-dl on cygwin?
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2000 13:38:34 -0600 (CST)

On Mon, 20 Mar 2000, Stef Pillaert wrote:

> Anyone ever succeeded in compiling octave with --enable-shared --enable-dl
> on cygwin (b20.1, with the gcc & binutils on M. Khans page)? I posted a
> question about this a few days ago, and I'm still struggling (reading in the
> docs on cygwin...)...(Always errors when libcruft.so is beeing created).
>
> Is it a good idea to keep on trying building octave this way, or is it only
> possible on full Linux-systems to use .oct-files?

The --enable-shared is not supported by Octave currently. It shouldn't be
hard to add the shared support, but it's work and someone must do it. If
anyone is interested in the work, I can elaborate on what needs to be done
to build Octave as a dynamic library or DLL; DLLs are quite different from
what we typically call shared libraries on Unix.

You can still use --enable-dl and use dlopen/dlclose (which are buggy
under Cygwin b20.1 and fixed in dev snapshots since), but each loadable
.oct file will be *huge* because all symbols in DLLs must be resolved
and you'll end up including the entire octinterp in each .oct file.

Please don't use --enable-shared.

Regards,
Mumit