usage of error_text

From: etienne grossmann
Subject: usage of error_text
Date: Sun, 9 Apr 2000 19:51:58 +0100 (WEST)

  Hello,

  sorry for mailing prematurely. I think I got it : the name of the
  variable is '__error_text__'.

  I wanted to use it in order to do something like :

  function bar()
    if some_error_condition,
       try error("bar") ;
       catch
         printf( __error_text__ );    ## Show the all the calling functions
       end
       keyboard
   end

   So that I could both know what the callig functions are, and also
   inspect the local variables. Afaik, this is not currently possible;
   am I right?

   Cheers,

   Etienne

#    I don't manage to use the 'error_text' built-in variable :
#
#  octave:100> function foo(), error("this function is broken");end
#
#  octave:101> foo
#
#  error: this function is broken
#  error: called from `foo'
#
#  octave:101> try foo();catch error_text end; error_text
#  error_text =
#  error_text =
#
#  octave:102> help error_text
#  error_text is a built-in constant
#
#  the text of error messages that would have been printed in the
#  body of the most recent unwind_protect statement or the TRY part of
#  the most recent eval() command.  Outside of unwind_protect and
#  eval(), or if no error has ocurred within them, the value of
#  __error_text__ is guaranteed to be the empty string.
#
#    Does anyone see what I'm doing wrong?